Conditions that favour success in dairy farming
Dairy Farming in Kenya is a type of farming whereby cattle are reared for milk production. The farming is mainly practiced in most parts of the Rift Valley, Central, Eastern, Coast and Western parts of Kenya. It is mostly practised by small-scale holders, who account for 80% of the milk produced in Kenya, while large-scale farming accounts for the remaining 20%.
Conditions that favour dairy farming
The following conditions are required to enable a good environment for
- A good climate with sufficient rainfall, preferably well distributed over
- A good water supply from rivers, streams, dams, boreholes, etc. Water
is essential for the animals to drink and to maintain a good hygienic
standard at farms.
- A nearby market for the milk within reach. Either informally direct
to consumers or formally through Cooperative Societies and milk
- Availability of inputs, like stock feeds and veterinary drugs.
- Access to technical information and support of a dairy extension service
and to breeding facilities, like Artificial Insemination (A.I.) or bull camps.
- Access to an infrastructure with all weather roads.
- Knowledge of good crop husbandry; like maize, fodder-crops and
- A cultural background with a tradition of cattle keeping and milk
Essentials of successful dairy farming
To make dairy farming a successful enterprise at the farm the following
factors are essential:
- Availability of good quality feeds, fodder, water and grazing throughout
- Suitable breeding animals with potential for milk production.
- Good animal husbandry practices.
- Effective disease and parasite control.
- Title deed land settlement.
- Favourable good government policy biased towards smallholder dairy
Hits: 312https://farmerstrend.co.ke/conditions-that-favour-success-in-dairy-farming/https://i1.wp.com/farmerstrend.co.ke/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/IMG20190309123958.jpg?fit=1024%2C485&ssl=1https://i1.wp.com/farmerstrend.co.ke/wp-content/uploads/2019/03/IMG20190309123958.jpg?resize=150%2C150&ssl=1#TrendingDairy FarmingLivestock FarmingDairy Farming in Kenya is a type of farming whereby cattle are reared for milk production. The farming is mainly practiced in most parts of the Rift Valley, Central, Eastern, Coast and Western parts of Kenya. It is mostly practised by small-scale holders, who account for 80% of the...#FarmersTrendJohn Bujufarmerstrend@gmail.comAdministratorI am a web enthusiast, writer and blogger. I always strive to be passionate about my work. I started my work at the beginning of 2013 by engaging myself with detail reading and exchanging information regarding farming with others. Since then things and times have changed, but one thing remains the same and that is my passion for helping and educating Kenyan farmers, building a successful blog and delivering quality content to the readers. The particular interests that brought me in the world of blogging are gardening, farming and livestock.Farmers#Trend