Grapes Seedlings in Kenya, where to source and how to farm
Establishing an orchard
If you are growing grapes for the first time you can obtain the cuttings from other grape farmers in Kenya or at Farmers Trend Nursery by contacting 0790-509684. But if you already grow some grape vines in your farm in Kenya all you need to expand your farm is the vegetative propagation of the vines. Spacing of 1.5 x 2.7mtrs is ideal when planting. One single tree can produce around 15Kgs of grapes with a lifespan of more than 30years.
Other grape vegetative propagation methods include; layering, budding, grafting and tissue culture.
Layering is used in cultivars that are difficult to root while budding is used to rejuvenate old vines.
On the other hand, grafting is done on rootstocks resistant to the grape louse, nematodes and other soil conditions like drought and low PH.
When you need clean planting materials in large quantities such that it is impossible sufficient grape stem cuttings, Tissue culture becomes handy.
Grapes can also be grown from seeds; this method is mainly use by plant breeders to grow grapes with the intention of creating new varieties or improving the existing ones.
Hormone treated cuttings are then stuck in a nursery to root and develop leaves. After rooting and leafing takes place, they are ready for transplanting to the main farm.
Environmental conditions for grapes.
Suitable Grape scions for Kenya are as follows
Suitable Grape Rootstocks for Kenya
- Resistance to Phytophthora root rot
- Tolerance to drought and other soil conditions like low PH
- Adaptation to soil depth and texture
- Resistance to crown gall Agrobacterium tumefaciens. This bacterium weakens vines by encouraging the production of large amounts of cytokinins and auxins that induce excessive cell division and elongation.
- Adaptation to different PH which affects availability or uptake of nutrients. The scion should be adapted to high PH soils to facilitate absorption of Fe2+ Mn2+, and Zn2+ should be adjusted to low PH to take in Mg2+, Ca2+, and K+
- Phylloxera (grape louse) and nematode resistance. Nematodes are vectors of grape fanleaf virus.Vigor control- in cold regions vines exhibit indeterminate growth. Such growth results in the diversion of food reserves to vegetative growth at the expense of the fruit development.
Hits: 342https://farmerstrend.co.ke/grapes-seedlings-kenya/https://i0.wp.com/farmerstrend.co.ke/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/grapes-seedlings-in-kenya.jpeg?fit=1024%2C377&ssl=1https://i0.wp.com/farmerstrend.co.ke/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/grapes-seedlings-in-kenya.jpeg?resize=150%2C150&ssl=1#TrendingFruitsGrapes farmingGrapes Seedlings in Kenya: Grape is not very exacting about temperature. Consequently, it can be the grown practically everywhere in Kenya making it the fruit with the broadest geographical distribution. Kenya has a high potential to be a leading producer of the grapes if its cultivation is taken seriously. We can...#FarmersTrendJohn Bujufarmerstrend@gmail.comAdministratorI am a web enthusiast, writer and blogger. I always strive to be passionate about my work. I started my work at the beginning of 2013 by engaging myself with detail reading and exchanging information regarding farming with others. Since then things and times have changed, but one thing remains the same and that is my passion for helping and educating Kenyan farmers, building a successful blog and delivering quality content to the readers. The particular interests that brought me in the world of blogging are gardening, farming and livestock.Farmers#Trend