The New Agribusiness Investment, Contractual Pomegranate Farming in Kenya
Pomegranate is a drought tolerant fruit crop, which can sustain under water scarcity to some extent.. Perennial, easy to maintain and Profitable Crop Grown in some parts of Eastern Province and Exported to different countries. Pomegranate starts yielding after 1 Year 6 Months from the date of planting and economical yield can be obtained from second crop on wards.
Prepare a suitable size of the pit is 60 cm x 6o cm x 60.
Most ideal planting distance followed by farmers is 10 to 12 ft (3 to 3.6 m) between plants and 13-15 ft (3.9 to 4.5 m) between rows.
WHY POMEGRANATE FARMING
- Currently 90% of the pomegranate sold in Kenya is imported. This has been the case because many people have not taken pomegranate production as an economic venture.
- Pomegranate is the most expensive fruit in Kenya. A kilogram which is only 3 fruits costs between kshs 1,500 and kshs 1,700 in the retail market. The few farmers who have the fruit are making a huge return which is making many people to be interested in the venture.
- Pomegranate is a hardy fruit tree which makes it easy to manage in the farm as it has minimal husbandry requirements including low water requirements and they are not prone to diseases and pests attacks. This makes it a preferable crop for the drier areas or for the farmers who don’t have water for irrigation.
- There is a growing need for pomegranate beauty products. The cosmetic industry in Kenya imports a high quantity of products made from pomegranate fruit shell and pomegranate seed oil. By planting the fruit, the importation will be reduced.
- Pomegranate fruits are associated with many health benefits and this is making farmers prefer to invest in the enterprise. People are learning the benefits of pomegranates. The fruits are rich in vitamin C for enhanced immunity and increase oxygen circulation in the body, keeping the heart healthy. Studies have also revealed eating pomegranates or drinking their juice can help to prevent some cancers. It also helps in digestion and removing toxins in the body and above all, pomegranate is used to treat erectile dysfunction. It’s mostly used in Kenya to fight impotence.
Consolidated crown a Kenya based social enterprise has been involved in promotion of pomegranate farming and production. We supply fast maturing (9 months) hybrid seedlings across the country, train farmers on husbandry management and buy the fruits from our farmers.
We are currently recruiting 1,000 farmers across the country. You can contact PAUL MUTUA for Contractual Pomegranate Farming. +254 755 121 546