Hass Avocado Yield Per Tree While Taking Advantage Of Rains
The demand for Hass avocado has been soaring locally and in the export markets. With the growing markets for Kenyan fruits in Asia and Europe, perfect growing conditions, and government incentives promoting avocado farming, it’s high time we get to the farm. Besides, their ease of maintenance and ability to be intercropped with other crops makes the Hass avocado an excellent crop to grow.
Are you looking for a long-term investment with a high return on investment? Hass avocado farming is the fruit you should try. Take advantage of the rains and get growing.
Kenya has over 40 varieties of avocado. Hass is the main export variety and Fuerte is preferred for processing. Other commercial varieties are Keitt, Reed, Booth 8, Simmonds, Pinkerton, Nabal, puebla, Tonnage, Ettinger, Hayes, G6 and G7. Varieties used as rootstocks include Puebla, Fuerte, Duke, G6, and G7.
Since they are consumed in most dishes, whether you are at home, in hotels, or out for camping, be sure that the demand for the fruit will keep rising. It is not only the main ingredient in Kenyan cuisines but has attracted attention in different parts of the globe.
Fresh avocados are in different varieties, types, and sizes. But none surpasses the Hass variety, which has a high demand in the export markets. Here are common varieties that perform well in Kenya:
Hass Avocado Yield Per Acre
Under good care, the trees are highly productive with an extended harvesting period. You can harvest about 30 fruits per tree in two to three years or an average of 300 – 400 kgs per acre. Four-year-old trees can produce about 200 – 500 fruits each. In the 10th year, the yield has stabilized, and a tree can produce an average of 1000 fruits.
The first two years –growth stage
- 2nd and 3rd year (harvest of 50 fruits per tree) – 60k
- 4th year (harvest 200-250 fruits) – 240k
- 5th year – (350 fruits) – 420k
- 6th year – (800 fruits) – 900k
- 7th year – (1000 fruits) – 1.08m
- 8th year –(1100 fruits) – 1.3m
- 9th year –(more than 1300 fruits) – 1.5m
- 10th year – (more than 1500 fruits) – 1.8m
- 11th year – (more than 1750 fruits) – 2m
Total cumulative income of Ksh 10 million in 10 years.
What Affects the Productivity of hass avocado Trees?
The average yield of a tree is affected by various factors, such as:
- Age of the tree
- Environmental conditions
- Plant health and vigor
- Management practices
- Why is Hass Avocado Better?
Hass avocados account for nearly 80% of the total avocados consumed globally. So, why should you try Hass avocado?
- They have an extended shelf life.
- They are highly used for culinary uses.
- They have an extended harvesting season.
- They are easier to ship compared to other fruits.
- The trees are highly productive.
- Fruits have many health benefits.
- Ecological Requirements of Hass Avocados
- Rainfall: The trees perform well in areas with well-distributed rainfall. However, they can also grow well under irrigation in drier areas.
- Temperature: The trees flourish in temperatures of 20 – 24 degrees.
- Soils: Hass avocados perform thrive in deep, well-drained, fertile soils with a pH range of 5.5 to 7.0.
Harvesting Hass Avocados in Kenya
Your fruits are ready for harvesting 5 to 10 months after flowering. In Kenya, the trees flower around October and are ready for harvesting between June to September. However, this may vary depending on the ecological conditions and management practices. Identify an accurate harvesting period as the fruits mainly mature off the tree. Do not harvest immature fruits.
Hass Avocado Market
Locally, Hass avocados sell at Sh 10 to 40, depending on the quality and size. In the export markets, Kenyan Hass avocados are sold in:
- The European Union
- The Middle East
- Hong Kong
Why hass avocado farming?
- Higher sustainable income than farming maize, coffee sugarcane or tea.
- Hass tree fruits need minimum maintenance practices unlike other crops which call for maximum attention and capital from the farmer.
- Certified hass avocado takes a shorter period time to mature and therefore a farmer is assured of reaping returns as early as two to tree years after transplanting the seedlings.
- Consumption of avocado has increased both locally and internationally because of its nutritional contents hence hass better future prospects.
- Kenya harvests occur when most producing countries are of season hence we fetch higher export prices.
- Avocado tree yields increases as the years go by unlike other crops which whose quality and quantity decreases with increase in years.
- Can be practiced small scale and large scale, if in small scale we advice farmers to form groups and cooperatives.
Contact us today via +254 724559286 or +254 790509684
Do you have any questions, suggestions, or other contributions? Kindly use the comment box provided below for all your contributions. You are also encouraged to please kindly share this article with others you feel can benefit from this information if found useful enough as we may not be able to reach everyone at the same time. Thank you so much for sharing!
FRUIT FARMING PLANTING PACKAGES
|FARMERS TREND FRUIT SEEDLINGS SERVICES||We provide technical support on fruit farming in Kenya. Our Sales Team with technically qualified staff provide after sales service and farmers’ advisory services to our customers to get better plant establishment and faster growth of fruit orchard and plantations.|
We have a large network of employees who arrange delivery of seedlings to customers at their various destinations from Nairobi. Free technical services to customers on planting method, management practices and plant protection measures. Our team of Agricultural Experts periodically visits and supervise plantations and suggest necessary guidelines to get better growth and higher returns.
The income & expenditure projections indicated by Farmers Trend is normally an approximate figure, as it also depends on the nature and hard work of the farmer.
|FRUIT FARMING PACKAGE|
|WHAT THE PACKAGE CONSISTS|
|GIVE US A CALL TO ENJOY THIS BENNEFITS VIA +254 724-559286 OR +254 754-452939|
Leave a Reply