Common Misconceptions About Poultry Farming
Poultry farming is one of the most widely practiced livestock farming industries. It is therefore no surprise that we have lots of myths and misconceptions about chicken and poultry farming in general. Here are some of the most common misconceptions and myths about poultry farming:-
- That chicken can lay more than one egg a day. This is impossible.A chicken can only lay one egg a day. It takes 25-26 hours for egg formation process to be complete. Most eggs are often laid in the morning followed by a few at noon and afternoon. I have heard other people say that small eggs come from cockerels. Complete lie! cockerels have no ovaries therefore no egg formation.
- That a hen needs a cockerel inorder to lay eggs. A hen will lay eggs whether a cockerel is present or not. A cockerel only helps to fertilize the eggs.
- That broilers are fed with steroids and hormones. Not true. Good genetics,nutrition,housing and proper management has enabled the broiler bird to gain weight fast and grow rapidly.Hormones and steroids are banned in poultry and it is illegal to use them. Broilers equally provide proteins like any other bird.
- That eggs with yellow yolks are more nutritious than those without. Not true. Nutritional content is the same whether yellow,orange or grey yolk though eggs from free range chicken are more tastier than housed hens.
- That cocks can only crow in the morning. Cocks can crow anytime of the day.They can even crow at night when startled. Crowing is the only way a cock can alert other members of impending danger and act as a way of showing dominance.
- That all organic medications given to chicken are safe. Not at all infact modern medications are much safer if given correctly.Snake poison is organic does it mean it is safe? Most organic products have not been scientifically tested.
- That when chicken eat eggs and cannibalize each other it means they lack calcium. Big lie. Even if you provide enough calcium to them they would still continue with these behaviours.These behaviours are called vices and can be corrected by proper spacing,debeaking and wound treatment.
- That chicken are cowardly and can’t be trained. Infact chickens are much cleverer than a toddler and can even be trained how to play a piano.If you hide anything from a chicken it would still know it’s there unlike toddlers.
- That chicken are vegeterians. Chicken are onmnivorous and can eat both meat and vegetation.They can eat even fried chicken.
- That Indigenous chicken(kienyeji chicken) are resistant to diseases. Indigenous chicken are affected by diseases the same way as hybrid chicken though they are a bit hardy. Diseases such as newcastle disease and fowl typhoid are deadly to them.
- That all hybrid broilers are males. Infact the broiler birds have males and females in them. The males are bigger and the combs and wattles are prominent at 6-7weeks.Female broilers can even lay eggs at 6 myths if put on a layer diet and that is if they don’t die of heart attack or congestive heart failure.
- That chickens don’t need deworming. Chicken get tapeworms,roundworms,gizzard worms and gapeworms(in the trachea/windpipe)and need deworming every 3 myths. Some worms even pass through the eggs. However chicken worms are host specific and can’t be passed to human beings.
You can add any misconception you know of. Now you know.
COMPILED BY: Okuta Ngura || Founder, Owner and Managing Director at Ngura poultry care.
Contacts +254729568151 /+254771210349